Check the status of your refund with TransAction Portal. Select Where's My Refund link under the 'Quick Links' section. **Checking the status of your return does not require a TAP account.**
Where's My Refund Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take to receive my refund?
Because of the ongoing nationwide increase in identity theft and filing of fraudulent returns, the department takes time to review returns to make sure they are valid. This means that the department cannot always give you a timeframe for how long it will take to issue your refund.
TAP will show you the status of your return and refund. The status of your refund depends on where your return is in the process.
How soon after filing can I check the status of my refund?
Wait at least
- 4 weeks if you filed electronically
- 8 weeks if you filed a paper return
Your refund could seem slow or be delayed because:
- In response to security measures in place to protect you from identify theft, we may have sent you an identify verification letter. Your refund cannot be processed until the steps included in the letter are completed.
- Your return has line item or calculation errors to be reviewed.
- Your refund may have been offset to pay another state debt. You will receive a letter if this happens.
- You are considered to be a first-time filer. A first-time filer is defined as a taxpayer who has not filed a Montana tax return as a primary or secondary taxpayer in previous years.
Be sure to use the same information from your current year's tax return:
- Social Security Number
- Refund Amount
- Line 74 of Form 2
- Line 21 of Form 2EZ
- Line 13 of Form 2EC
You can only check on the current year individual income tax return in Where's My Refund.
Will I get more information if I call?
No, Where’s My Refund has up-to-date information available about your refund. The information you see in Where's My Refund is similar information available to our phone representatives when you call.
If it has been more than eight weeks, our representatives may have additional information. Call us toll free at (866) 859-2254 (in Helena (406) 444-6900) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
When is the information updated?
Information is updated overnight, Monday through Friday, so you don't need to check more than once a day.