Showing posts from February, 2011

Are Your Social Security Benefits Taxable?

Internal Revenue Service- Washinton

The Social Security benefits you received in 2010 may be taxable. You should receive a Form SSA1099 which will show the total amount of your benefits. The information provided on this statement along with the following seven facts from the IRS will help you determine whether or not your benefits are taxable.

1.  How much- if any - of your Social Security benefits are taxable depends on your total income and marital status.

2.  Generally, if Social Security benefits were your only income for 2010, your benefits are not taxable and you probably do not need to file a federal income tax return.

3. If you received income from other sources, your benefits will not be taxed unless your modified adjusted gross income is more than the base amount for your filing status.

4. Your taxable benefits and modified adjusted gross income are figured on a worksheet in the Form 1040A or Form 1040 Instruction booklet.

5. You can do the following quick computation to dete…

Points to Keep in Mind When Choosing A Tax Preparer

Internal Revenue Service- Washinton

If you pay someone to prepare your tax return, the IRS urges you to choose that preparer wisely. Taxpayers are legally responsible for what’s on their tax return even if it is prepared by someone else. So, it is important to choose carefully when hiring an individual or firm to prepare your return. Most return preparers are professional, honest and provide excellent service to their clients.

Here are a few points to keep in mind when choosing someone else to prepare your return:
Ask if the preparer is affiliated with a professional organization that provides its members with continuing education and resources and holds them to a code of ethics.New regulations require all paid tax return preparers including attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents to apply for a Preparer Tax Identification Number — even if they already have one — before preparing any federal tax returns in 2011.

Check on the preparer’s history. Check to see if the preparer has a questi…

Taxable or Non-Taxable Income?

Internal Revenue Service- Washington

Generally, most income you receive is considered taxable but there are situations when certain types of income are partially taxed or not taxed at all.

To help taxpayers understand the differences between taxable and non-taxable income, the Internal Revenue Service offers these common examples of items not included as taxable income:

* Adoption Expense Reimbursements for qualifying expenses
* Child support payments
* Gifts, bequests and inheritances
* Workers' compensation benefits
* Meals and Lodging for the convenience of your employer
* Compensatory Damages awarded for physical injury or physical sickness
* Welfare Benefits
* Cash Rebates from a dealer or manufacturer

Some income may be taxable under certain circumstances, but not taxable in other situations. Examples of items that may or may not be included in your taxable income are:

* Life Insurance If you surrender a life insurance policy for cash, you must include in income a…