Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The tax extension deadlines are approaching more quickly than you might realize!  It's time to start thinking about getting your information together and to help avoid the stress of the last minute rush, we're sharing this interesting article from Psychology Today about how and why to avoid procrastination.  

Recent research suggests procrastination is linked to difficulty managing distress. Specifically, it seems that task aversion is to blame — that is, when people view a task in an unpleasant manner, they are more likely to put it off.

We know most people hate to think about taxes, it's distressing.  But ultimately it ends up being more stressful the longer you wait.  We're here to help, so give us a call if you need answers to get you kick-started. 

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Calling All Local Artists!

As you're preparing your creations for the Powder River County fair, don't forget about our Local Artist's Forum!  Gardner & Billing CPAs are proud to support and showcase the work of the many artists in our community.  We have revolving displays in our front office and up currently are works by Wally Badgett, Lana Kay Smith, Ronda Gatlin and Gaylene Fortner.  

We welcome the participation of all amateur and professional artists in all mediums, from watercolor, to photography, to pottery!  The pieces are strictly on loan during exhibition, so consider dropping in with your display-ready creation to share with us.  

For more information, please contact our office at 406-436-2583.

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Scramble 4 a Cure!

Many of you are aware that the local Cancer Fund is a cause very near to the hearts of Dave and Pat Gardner, and for years the Scramble 4 a Cure has been a a great fundraiser for this charity. This weekend marks the 14th annual golf tournament benefiting our Broadus Cancer Fund.  

The raised and donated funds from this charity all go to people in our area that have been affected by cancer.  The money often helps cover medical and travel costs incurred during treatment and so often people who at one time receive funds, end up becoming donors themselves in later years.  Since its inception, over $220,000 has been given back to touch the lives of our neighbors and loved ones!  Last year alone, 20 different families each received $1,200.  The volunteers and recipients of the Cancer Fund are continually overwhelmed by the incredible support shown in our small community. 

The Scramble 4 a Cure is surly one of the premier events held each year at the Rolling Hills Golf Course and, like always, the 36 tee box sponsors this year have shown amazing support.  The tournament takes place this Friday and Saturday, August 3rd and 4th.  Each day will be played as an individual tournament with 18 teams on Friday and 20 on Saturday.  Lunch and snacks are provided each day by Tracy Vail and Saturday morning rolls by Tammy Schoenbeck.  The Rolling Hills greenskeepers and clubhouse staff go to great lengths to ensure the course is in tip top shape and that everyone involved has an incredible weekend.  

We hope to see you there!

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

IRS Working on New Form 1040 for 2019 Tax Season

 IRS-2018-146, June 29, 2018
WASHINGTON – As part of a larger effort to help taxpayers, the Internal Revenue Service plans to streamline the Form 1040 into a shorter, simpler form for the 2019 tax season.

The new 1040 – about half the size of the current version -- would replace the current Form 1040 as well as the Form 1040A and the Form 1040EZ.  The IRS circulated a copy of the new form and will work with the tax community to finalize the streamlined Form 1040 over the summer.

This new approach will simplify the 1040 so that all 150 million taxpayers can use the same form. The new form consolidates the three versions of the 1040 into one simple form. At the same time, the IRS will still obtain the information from each taxpayer needed to determine their tax liability or refund. 

The new Form 1040 uses a “building block” approach, in which the tax return is reduced to a simple form. That form can be supplemented with additional schedules if needed. Taxpayers with straightforward tax situations would only need to file this new 1040 with no additional schedules.

Since more than nine out of 10 taxpayers use software or a tax preparer, the IRS will be working with the tax community to prepare for the streamlined Form 1040. This will also help ensure a smooth transition for people familiar with software products and the interview process used to prepare tax returns.  

For more information, visit