Check the status of your Montana refund with Taxpayer Access Point. Select Where's My Refund under the Individual section. Checking the status of your return does not require a TAP account.
Where's My Refund Frequently Asked Questions
How long will it take to receive my refund?
You will usually have your refund or hear from the department within 2 weeks if you filed electronically or within 8 weeks if you filed on paper.
We are taking extra care to ensure the returns we receive are valid because of an increasing number of identity thefts. TAP will show you the status of your return and refund. The status of your refund depends on where your return is in the process.
How soon after filing can I check the status of my refund?
Wait at least
• 1 week if you filed electronically
• 6 weeks if you filed a paper return
What can slow down my refund?
Your refund could seem slow or be delayed because:
• You filed your return during busy processing time such as late March and April. Filing electronically and filing early will help you avoid busy filing processing times.
• In response to security measures in place to protect you from identify theft, we may have sent you an identify verification letter. Your refund cannot be processed until the steps included in the letter are completed.
• Your return has line item or calculation errors to be reviewed.
• Your refund may have been offset to pay another state debt. You will receive a letter if this happens.
Tips for using Where’s My Refund
Be sure to use the same information from your current year's tax return:
• Social Security Number
• Refund Amount
You can find your refund amount on:
- Line 74 of Form 2
- Line 21 of Form 2EZ
- Line 13 of Form 2EC
Will I get more information if I call?
No, Where’s My Refund has up-to-date information available about your refund. The information you see in Where's My Refund is similar information available to our phone representatives when you call.
If it has been more than eight weeks, our representatives may have additional information. Call us toll free at (866) 859-2254 (in Helena (406) 444-6900) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Which returns are available in Where’s My Refund? You can only check on the current year individual income tax return in Where's My Refund.
When is the information updated?
Information is updated overnight, Monday through Friday, so you don't need to check more than once a day.